"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."
Charles Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities.


mardi 24 mars 2009

To my readers (if I have any)

As of today I will be writing some of the articles in this blog in English. This is a move I have been pondering for some time now. Let me explain why.
Well, one obvious reason is that, like it or not, English has become a de facto world language. Which means that, by using it, I am able to reach a wider audience. Don't get me wrong: reaching a wider audience does not mean anything quantitative to me, I am not interested in having millions of people reading me, I am only interested in having the right people (i.e. people I share something with) doing it and reacting to what I write. Now, by using a language more widely spoken than French, I increase - this is a matter of statistics - the probability that this can happen. The point is that I have been experiencing lately (lately meaning more or less since the day I was born...) a strong feeling of intellectual loneliness, and widening the audience of this blog might be an opportunity for me to get in touch with some matching souls, so to speak.
Another reason why I have decided to write articles in English is the sheer difficulty of doing so, which makes the whole thing a kind of challenge for me. Writing in a foreign language forces you to be more accurate and substantial, as you cannot resort as easily as in your native language to all the linguistic tricks usually used to conceal a lack of real thought.
Anyhow, for the time being I plan to write only some of the articles in English. I will decide at a later stage whether to switch altogether to English or to start a new blog in that language.

Aucun commentaire: